Friday, December 5, 2008

Three Months Old!

I bet you thought I forgot about your three-month birthday! Of course not. We were out of town for Thanksgiving, and, well, let's just hope you don’t get the procrastination genes.

This has been a very eventful month. You are developing a quirky little sense of humor, and love playing games with Daddy and me. Most of these games involve sleep-avoidance -- you are always at your cutest and most charming right before bed. And you are always quick to let us know when something doesn't agree with you. For example, you have recently decided you only want to be held by me or Daddy, preferably Daddy. You spent the majority of the last month in this position:


This period unfortunately coincided with the opportunity to meet tons of family and friends, most of whom made you cry. But don't worry, they didn't take it personally. Your Great Uncle Ronnie appeared to be an exception to this rule -- you just loved him from the start (much to Great Aunt Paula's consternation!).




You have become so much more interested in the world around you, and constantly demand to be shown new things. As a result, you no longer care for your ERGO carrier, and prefer to be worn facing out, like this.

Late afternoon at our place has become like the Food Network while I narrate getting dinner ready. You really seem to love staring at the colorful fruits and veggies, and smelling everything I put up to your nose (at least I hope you like this!).

You have definitely discovered your hands this month, and have started grasping your toys and reaching for things a little bit. Your arm and leg movements are becoming much more animated, but you’re not showing much interest in rolling over or moving around. You are often content to hang out and stare – at your hands, at shadows on the wall, or whatever else strikes your fancy.


You’re also becoming quite a talker. You coo and gurgle all the time now. You appear to be fascinated by language. The sound of French, in particular, seems to delight you, so I talk back to you in a mixture of English, French, and Baby. This also comes in handy in the car (which you still dislike), as high-pitched French can often soothe you to sleep. I have no idea why, but I’m thankful when it works.

It’s been fairly cold lately, so we haven’t been able to go out much. I did take you for a walk to show you your first snow. You seemed intrigued, but it's hard to say when I can't see your face. It’s very convenient that I can still zip up my down jacket around both of us when you’re in the Moby, but I don’t imagine that will last long. You are super cute all bundled up.


You become more delightful and interesting every day, my sweet little Jane. A friend who has kids once told me (before you were born), "I remember there was life before [his child] -- it just doesn't really seem to matter." I think we were discussing being able to sleep in, or go out partying, or something. This sentiment seemed rather extreme to me at the time, but I understand what he means now. I feel so fortunate to be able to take some time away from work to spend with you. You are changing so fast, and I want to be here for every minute as long as I can.

Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Jane you are growing up to be such a delightful little thing! We enjoy following your Chicago adventures and glad to hear you are enjoying them in the Moby. Calder and I will have to take some lessons from you venturing out in cold weather (we haven't had to bundle up here in Southern Cali!). We just bought a snowsuit off Ebay to take on our holiday visit to Indiana then on to Germany. Brrrrrrrrrrr!