Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Six Months Old!

Before I go to bed at night, I like to sit and watch what we call the Jane Channel. This is the screensaver on our computer, which randomly displays photos from your life thus far. It's fun to jump around from newborn pictures, to almost rolling over, to first smiles. There are so many memories already, and you still have your whole life ahead of you. It is funny to think you will have no memory of these months (or many still to come), which are so precious to Daddy and me. Hence the blog, I guess. So what's new at six months?


You've almost got the rolling over thing licked, but it is still difficult for you to do in your bulky diapers. Now that you can sit up on your own, though, that's pretty much what you want to do. It is just so convenient to have both of your hands free to play!

Your toy du jour is a plastic food storage container. You enjoy dumping your birdies out of it (you never bother putting them back in), putting it over your toys, and chewing on it. Actually, you love chewing on just about anything. And you love your baths now, which is very fun. We've ditched the plastic baby bath and we just get in the tub with you. You splash and play and have a grand time.

You are a very social baby, my dear, and starting to babble more, though you mostly still restrict your socializing to the inner circle (i.e. Daddy and me). You can say many of the consonants now, whereas last month you were a vowel specialist. B and T are recent additions. You said "waba" once, which was very exciting, but we're holding out for da-da and ma-ma.
You are still a really good sleeper. We were spoiled for that month or two that you slept 10+ hours straight at night. You have been waking occasionally lately. I understand this can be a normal side effect of teething, and you seem upset, so we usually just feed you and put you back down. So far this doesn't seem to be "training" you to wake up.
You love to eat! Solids are just so much more entertaining than nursing, I can hardly keep you interested in your milk these days. Your favorite food is banana, although avocado and squash are also strong contenders. You really enjoy holding your own spoon, which primarily serves as a conduit to deliver food and drool into your lap. How fantastic!

It's funny how very important the developmental milestones feel right now. It seems like you'll never be able to eat on your own, or speak, or walk. But I'm sure someday we'll struggle to remember what it felt like when you were really still so helpless. Every day that passes you are more eager to explore and better able to do it. You are already worlds away from that scrunchy little newborn we brought home from the hospital six months ago. It is so exciting, and I am trying to remember to cherish every moment.

I love you, my sweet Jane.
Mommy

[I finally shuffled things around on the computer enough to upload all the photos and video from the last few weeks. The posts linked in this post were backdated (so no, the email notification is not broken). Enjoy!]

No comments: